Thursday, January 7, 2010

The End Of A Season

Well Christmas is over, and HELLO 2010! This year was a quiet holiday, spent at home in Orono with Mum, and Dad. Mitch had flu-type symptoms and spent the entire Christmas day in bed. wooooohhh.... I did have a great time with Mum and Dad, but it just seemed like we were lacking other family members!!! With Neil off in B.C., Phil working nights, and Nana and Grandad not present, it felt very... Quiet I guess. But none the less it was a great holiday filled with great company and a few good pressies!

I always feel a wave of sadness when the Holiday season comes to an end. The pretty lights get packed up, the tree gets dragged outside to be carted off in a truck, and the Ho-Ho-Happiness seems to fade as we all get back to our daily lives. There's something about the holiday season that just makes things feel better... Sigh

The last post stated I had an appointment with a nutritionist, which was actually kind of dissapointing. You count on your Nut to put you in line and give you tips and ideas about what to eat and what to do- or atleast that was my expectation of her- and she didn't. I left feeling equally as un-easy as I did when I entered. But either way, I walked across to the hospital and had a good 10+ vials of blood taken. I was pretty sure that all of these tests would come back with alarm bells and such because I had been throwing up a lot and living off of cheese, crackers, and peanut butter. Well the results came back and they were completely normal. I had a low B1, and a low Vitamin D, so two tiny pills and aparently I'll be good as new. It's surprising how your body can cope when you deprive it of so many things.

I also had my first dilatation on Dec. 11th. For anyone who doesn't know what that is, I'll explain! Aparently post-op Gastric Bypass patients can be prone to get these things known as "strictures", which is a narrowing of the esophogus. So basically, your throat gets tight, and food can't pass down into your stomach. You can also get a stricture at the base of your stomach (which is what I had) which means food can go in, but can't pass into your intestines to be digested, which means a lot of vomiting. So they lay you on your side, knock you out with Propophol, and put a camera down your throat (gastroscopy) to see if you do indeed have a stricture. If you do, they position a balloon and blow it up to stretch out the area that has consctricted. Easy peasy. Literally the simplest and painless procedure I've ever had, and within days I was eating all of those things I hadn't been able to eat. It was great!

But..

I have another gastroscopy/dilatation booked for tomorrow. Over the holiday I had 3 or 4 really bad days of eating, so I called and unfortunately the only date available (because Fridays fell on Christmas and New Years Day this year) was January the 8th. Eating has been better since the holidays, with one or two days here and there that have been bad. I'm wondering if I should cancel it, because things seem to be going much better, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to go just so he can have a look down there! The best thing he can say is that I'm fine, and to just watch what foods I'm eating.

The weight is now coming off much SLOWER then it was in the beginning.. It's frustrating. I go days and days at the same weight, and that drives me mad! So I've started going to an indoor walking track thats local here in Alliston, and walking 5km a day (when I'm not working), in hopes that that'll help it drop down a bit.

Take care everyone, this is a boring post- my apolagies.

Today's weight- 238.4

I hit the big 5-0!

No comments:

Post a Comment